In mid-January 2014, the IRS introduced the ability for taxpayers to instantly view and print tax transcripts. Prior to the introduction of this new online service, taxpayers were able to request either returns or transcripts, which would take approximately 5-10 days to be delivered.
Tax return and tax account transcripts are available
for the current year plus the previous 3 processed years.
Wage and income transcripts are available for
the past 10 processing years.
The new online feature will give taxpayers instant access to:
• Tax Return Transcripts — Reflecting most items from the tax return as it was originally filed. (It does not reflect any changes made after it was originally filed.)
• Tax Account Transcripts — Showing any adjustments made after the return was filed, including basic data, such as marital status, type of return, gross and taxable income.
• Record of Account Transcripts — Combines the information from a tax return transcript and a tax account transcript.
• Wage and Income Transcripts — Provides data from W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, etc.
• Verification of Non-filing Letter — Proof from the IRS that the taxpayer did not file a return this year.
To access this feature, follow this link:
After creating an account and signing in, the taxpayer will answer security questions and have immediate access to a page listing the years available for each transcript. Tax return and tax account transcripts are available for the current year plus the previous 3 processed years. Wage and income transcripts are available for the past 10 processing years.
This is a quick and easy way for taxpayers to get immediate access to their past tax return information.